This fruity and flavorful bourbon peach smash is summer in a cocktail! This drink brings together ripe peaches, sweet bourbon, and a refreshing touch of fresh mint and smashes them all together in a glass with ice. It's sweet, refreshing, and the perfect way to use ripe summer peaches!
I love a summery and refreshing bourbon cocktail, and if you love a smash - a mint julep is another great way to cool down with bourbon during the summer; check out this Fresh Blackberry Mint Julep, Passion Fruit Mint Julep, and Strawberry Mint Julep.
What is a Smash?
A "smash" is a classic style of cocktail that dates back to the 19th century. It's known for its refreshing and vibrant character, typically featuring fresh fruit, herbs, sugar, and a spirit. The name "smash" derives from the way the ingredients are "smashed" or muddled together to release their flavors, creating a delightful harmony of tastes. Smashes are a fantastic way to showcase seasonal ingredients and bring out the natural sweetness and aromas of fresh fruits.
Why You'll Love This Recipe:
1. Full of fresh peach flavor! The cocktail uses ½ of a peach per drink and muddles it with agave and mint!
2. Bourbon: The smooth, caramel notes of bourbon provide a sweet and sophisticated depth to this cocktail.
3. Easy to make: This recipe is simple to make, and it all comes together in the glass.
Fresh Peaches: fresh and ripe peaches are key for the flavor and so that they are easy to muddle. You can use thawed frozen ones if you don't have fresh peaches.
Bourbon: This is a bourbon-based cocktail, and the bourbon flavor really shines through, so using a top-shelf, high-quality bourbon is key to a delicious-tasting drink. Woodford Reserve is our go-to bourbon for cocktails because it has an even flavor and mixes well with several flavors.
Mint: mint gives this cocktail subtle herby notes and more added freshness. Feel free to substitute for your favorite herb - basil and thyme also pair wonderfully with peaches.
Simple Syrup or Agave Nectar: This cocktail features a subtle amount of sweetener to enhance the peaches perfectly, and you can use agave, simple syrup, or even honey, depending on what you have available.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make This Recipe:
Add ½ of a sliced peach into an old-fashioned glass.
Top with the agave and mint and muddle until there are no chunks of peaches left.
Add the bourbon, stir, and cover with ice!
Garnish with peach slices and mint.
- Use ripe, fragrant peaches for the best flavor. If peaches are not in season, consider using frozen peaches, but let them thaw before muddling.
- Feel free to adjust the sweetness to your taste by adding more or less simple syrup.
1. Bourbon Alternatives: If you're not a bourbon fan, you can substitute with another whiskey variety like rye or try a sweeter spirit like rum.
2. Experiment with herbs: Swap the mint for basil or thyme for slightly different flavor notes.
3. Fresh Fruit Twist: While peaches are fantastic, you can experiment with other ripe summer fruits like nectarines or apricots.
4. Simple syrup or honey will also make a great sweetener if you don't have agave on hand.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
This fruity and flavorful bourbon peach smash is summer in a cocktail! This drink brings together ripe peaches, sweet bourbon, and a refreshing touch of fresh mint and smashes them all together in a glass with ice.
- ½ peach - thinly sliced
- 4-5 mint leaves
- 1 oz agave
- 1 ½ oz bourbon
- Add ½ of a thinly sliced peach into an old-fashioned glass.
- Top with the agave and mint.
- Muddle until there are no chunks of peaches left.
- Add the bourbon, stir, and cover with ice!
- Garnish with more peach slices and a sprig of mint.