This blackberry mint julep puts a fruity spin on the classic mint julep! Fresh mint and blackberries are muddled with simple syrup and bourbon for a fresh and delicious summer cocktail!
If you are a blackberry lover, this cocktail is for you! This is a blackberry-forward cocktail with subtle mint and bourbon notes.
Here's why you'll love this recipe:
Mint juleps are so delicious because they're so full of fresh mint flavor and covered in refreshing crushed ice. For an easy big batch to serve a crowd, you can make a simple blackberry mint syrup instead of muddling the fruit for each drink. Just add 1 ½ ounces blackberry mint syrup with 2 ounces bourbon.
- Fresh Blackberries: this drink is mostly blackberries, so pick the most ripe berries available.
- Bourbon: A top-shelf, high-quality bourbon is crucial for a delicious-tasting drink.
- Fresh mint: This recipe requires a lot of mint. Some mint leaves are chopped up and added to the simple syrup, and several sprigs of whole mint are added to the glass for more flavor and as a garnish.
- Simple syrup: This sweetener is made with equal parts water and sugar and adds just the right amount of sweetness to the cocktail.
- Crushed ice: Use crushed ice for a traditional Kentucky Derby-style cocktail.
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make this recipe:
Muddle the blackberries, mint, and simple syrup in a glass.
Add a little crushed ice.
Add bourbon and stir.
Top with more crushed ice and garnish with more blackberries and mint.
- Make your simple syrup ahead of time and let it cool thoroughly. You can make it a week ahead and store it in the fridge.
- Make crushed ice by adding ice to a large ziplock bag and crushing it with a rolling pin or another sturdy kitchen tool.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
This fun and tropical spin on the classic mint julep is subtle, fruity, and totally delicious! Bourbon and passion fruit are an uncommon pairing, but the tart fruit and the sweet bourbon are a perfect match!
- 5-6 ripe blackberries
- 5-6 mint leaves
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 2 ounces bourbon
- Crushed ice
- Muddle the blackberries, mint, and simple syrup in a glass.
- Add bourbon, a little crushed ice, and stir.
- Top with crushed ice.
- Garnish with more blackberries and mint.