Mint Simple Syrup is a must for the Kentucky Derby and summer seasons! This syrup is the perfect way to make a Mint Julep, mojito, or any other drink that could use a bit of sweet fresh mint flavor.
It's just three ingredients, is ready in about 30 minutes, and is perfect for making a large batch of Mint Juleps or Mojitos!
Why you will love this recipe:
Perfect cocktails like this The Best Mint Julep Recipe, or the classic mojito, or drinks like Mint Sweet Iced Tea, Minty Lemonade, sparkling water, or mint latte!
This is an easy recipe and much better than using a preservative-added store-bought syrup! This fresh strawberry simple syrup is also an amazing choice for strawberry lovers.
Bunch of Fresh Mint: fresh mint is key for this simple minty syrup. Use fresh mint and not dried, and look for crisp and strong leaves.
Water: A traditional simple syrup is equal parts sugar to water.
Sugar: Sugar is both a sweetener and a preservative. The more sugar, the longer the syrup will keep.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make this recipe:
Add the mint, sugar, and water to a small saucepan.
Simmer but don't boil the mixture until all the sugar has dissolved and the mint has darkened.
Let the mixture cool to room temperature, and then strain.
Transfer the syrup to an airtight container and chill or serve!
- Straining: use a fine mesh sieve to strain the leaves out of the syrup.
- Crystallization: If the mixture starts crystalizing, lower the heat and gently melt it back into the syrup.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up two weeks.
You can use this recipe to make loads of syrups to your tastes.
- Use brown sugar for a deeper, more molasses flavor.
- Use different fruits, strawberries, rhubarb, or raspberries for a flavored mint syrup! This would be perfect for flavored mojitos or mint juleps!
How to use this syrup:
- Mint Juleps
- Mint Sparkling Water
- Minty Iced Sweet Tea
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This syrup will keep for about two weeks.
Fresh Mint Simple Syrup
- Prep Time: 1 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 21 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Category: Syrup
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
This syrup is the perfect way to make a Mint Julep, mojito, or any other drink that could use a bit of sweet fresh mint flavor.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 bunch of fresh mint (about ⅓ cup)
- Remove the mint leaves from their stems and add them, sugar, and water to a small saucepan.
- Simmer but don't boil the mixture until all the sugar has dissolved and the mint has darkened.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature, and then strain the mint.
- Transfer the syrup to an airtight container and chill or serve!