Strawberry simple syrup is the perfect way to flavor cocktails, lemonades, or any drink that would benefit from some fresh strawberry flavor! It's just three ingredients and is ready in about 30 minutes!
Simple syrup is an easy liquid sweetener that can be added to any drink for added sweetness, and this strawberry version is the perfect strawberry drink enhancer!
Why you will love this recipe:
Perfect cocktails like a Strawberry Aperol Spritz or drinks like Strawberry Iced tea, strawberry lemonade, sparkling strawberry water, strawberry latte, or even for strawberry shaved ice!
This is an easy recipe and much better than using a preservative-added store-bought syrup!
Strawberries: You can use fresh or frozen strawberries,I used fresh for this recipe but frozen works just as well.
Water: A traditional simple syrup is equal parts sugar to water.
Sugar: Sugar is both a sweetener and a preservative. The more sugar, the longer the syrup will keep.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make this recipe:
Start by slicing the strawberries. If using frozen, you can skip this step.
Add the strawberries, sugar, and water to a small saucepan.
Simmer but don't boil the mixture until all the sugar has dissolved and the strawberries have softened.
Let the mixture cool to room temperature, and then strain the strawberries.
Tips for success:
- Straining: use a fine mesh sieve to strain the strawberries out. You don't want any strawberry chunks ending up in the syrup. This will shorten the shelf life of the syrup.
- Crystallization: If the mixture starts crystalizing, lower the heat and gently melt it back into the syrup.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up two weeks.
You can use this recipe to make loads of syrups to your tastes.
- Add herbs like mint or basil.
- Use brown sugar for a deeper, more molasses flavor.
- Use different fruits, blackberries, rhubarb, or raspberries.
Perfect recipes for this syrup:
- Strawberry Aperol Spritz
- Strawberry Iced Tea
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Strawberry Sparkling Water
- Strawberry Latte
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This syrup will keep for about two weeks.
Fresh Strawberry Simple Syrup
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Category: Syrup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Strawberry simple syrup is the perfect way to flavor cocktails, lemonades, or any drink that would benefit from some fresh strawberry flavor!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Scant 2 cups cut strawberries
- Start by slicing the strawberries. If using frozen, you can skip this step.
- Add the strawberries, sugar, and water to a small saucepan.
- Simmer but don't boil the mixture until all the sugar has dissolved and the strawberries have softened and paled.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature, and then strain the strawberries.
- Transfer the syrup to an airtight container and chill or serve!
This was perfect in my iced tea!!!