This is the easiest recipe for delicious homemade blackberry jam! It’s made without pectin and canning, and it’s as simple as cooking blackberries, lemon juice, sugar, and bourbon until thick.
KEY INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE:
- Fresh blackberries: fresh blackberries are the key ingredient in this jam. You can use frozen, but the cooking time will be longer, and the consistency could vary.
- Sugar: Sugar is what makes this jam sweet. However, there’s not too much; I’m not a fan of overly sweet things.
- Lemon juice: lemon juice helps to bring out the flavor in the strawberries.
- Bourbon: this ingredient is optional, but it does add a nice kick of flavor to the jam.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to make jam without pectin and canning:
- Jam is so easy to make, especially if you aren’t canning it.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot. I then let mine sit for 30 minutes to allow the sugar to start breaking down the blackberries.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer on medium heat until the blackberries have reduced and the mixture has thickened.
- Do the jam test. Before you start making your jam, stick a small plate into the freezer and let it chill while your jam cooks. When it starts to thicken, put one tablespoon on the frozen plate, and freeze for 1 minute. After a minute, push your finger up against the jam, and if it wrinkles and puckers, it’s done!
This jam will keep in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks.
Lemon juice adds flavor and acid to the jam, which helps the mixture to thicken.
Yes! Your jam will continue to thicken as it cools, so it’s important to start testing it as soon as it starts to thicken, so you don’t overcook it.