These are my perfect chocolate chip cookies. They are gooey, chewy, sweet, and full of chocolate chips. They are also heavy on the vanilla and the salt, which gives them their punch of flavor.
I've never been a huge chocolate chip cookie fan. They always seemed pretty boring and flavorless. That was until I had a great one.
There is this restaurant in Santa Monica called The Misfit, and at the end of each meal, they give you freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. These were the fanciest and tastest chocolate cookies I've ever had, and since then, I've become a connoisseur. I've tried to make my own signature fancy chocolate chip recipe since then, and this is what I have settled on—my perfect chocolate chip cookie.
What makes the perfect chocolate chip cookies?
Since these cookies are such a simple recipe, it all comes down to the quality of ingredients. Use the best quality of butter, vanilla, and chocolate you have. It will make a difference.
Why chilling the dough is so important.
An important step is chilling the dough for at least 30 minutes. Chilling and resting the dough lets the sugar and the vanilla thoroughly meld with the dough and produces a deeper flavor. It also helps the cookies from spreading too much in the oven. The longer you let the dough chill the deeper flavor, so letting it rest overnight or for a full day is ideal. But 30 minutes will still produce an amazing cookie.
How many chocolate chips?
I have added ½ cup of high-quality chocolate chips, I've found much more makes the cookies spread too much in the oven. So feel free to add more, just freeze the cookies for 10-15 minutes before baking so that the cookies keep their shape.
LOOKING FOR MORE COOKIES? CHECK OUT THESE:
Thanks so much for reading about these perfect chocolate chip cookies! See below for more recipes you might love!Print
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Then cream together the butter and the two sugars in with a mixer until fluffy and well mixed.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the flour and salt and mix until just combined.
- Finally, mix in the chocolate chips and until evenly dispersed.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Using a tablespoon scoop out cookie dough and roll into about 1 inch balls and place onto two baking sheets and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the edges are browned.