This classy and red Hades and Persephone-themed Gin Halloween cocktail combines spiced pomegranate juice, gin, and tonic water. It's essentially a spiced pomegranate gin and tonic decked out for the spooky season! Heads up: drink only if you want to be tied to the underworld forever!
The blood-red pomegranate juice is infused with orange zest, cinnamon, and star anise and is full of fall flavor. Then combine that with your favorite gin and tonic water, and you have a refreshing Halloween drink!
I have always loved the Hades and Persephone myth, and this cocktail is the perfect homage to their tale. Serve it with this Black Flame Candle Hocus Pocus Drink, Haunted Halloween Punch, The Best Magical Halloween Sangria, or these Practical Magic Midnight Margaritas for a whole Halloween night!
Why I Love This Cocktail:
- Pays perfect homage to the Hades and Persephone myth.
- Infused with cozy fall spices like cinnamon and orange!
- Super refreshing! The pomegranate juice and tonic water make such a cool and thirst-quenching drink for those warm fall days.
Key Ingredients and Substitutions:
Pomegranate Juice: Pomegranate juice is the key ingredient in this drink because pomegranate seeds are what Hades gave Persephone to bind her to the underworld. Purchase pure, unsweetened pomegranate juice. You could also substitute with cranberry juice if pomegranate juice is unavailable.
Spices: cinnamon sticks, orange zest, star anise, and a little sugar sweeten the juice and provide a kick of fall spices!
Tonic water: this is a gin and tonic recipe, so tonic is key! My favorite brand is Fever-Tree, and I highly recommend it.
Gin: For this recipe, I used Empress 1908 gin. It is a butterfly pea tea gin with this lovely purple hue.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make this recipe:
Step 1: Make the spiced pomegranate juice by combining the juice, cinnamon, star anise, sugar, and orange zest in a pot and cooking for 10 minutes.
Step 2: Let the mixture cool, then strain out the zest and cinnamon.
Step 3: Fill a glass with crushed ice and pour the gin and pomegranate juice on top.
Step 4: Top with tonic juice, stir, and garnish with pomegranate sections or orange slices.
The juice will make about 4 cocktails.
You could switch it out for cranberry juice.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
This classy and red Hades and Persephone-themed Halloween cocktail combines spiced pomegranate juice, gin, and tonic water. It's essentially a spiced pomegranate gin and tonic decked out for the spooky season! Heads up: drink only if you want to be tied to the underworld forever!
For the spiced pomegranate juice:
- 1 cup Pomegranate juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
For the cocktail:
- 2 ounces gin
- 2 ounces spiced pomegranate juice
- 4-5 ounces tonic water
- Make the spiced pomegranate juice by combining the juice, cinnamon, star anise, sugar, and orange zest in a pot and cooking for 10 minutes. Let cool, then strain.
- Fill a glass with ice, add the gin and the juice, then top with tonic water.
- Stir the drink, then garnish with pomegranate or orange.
- Don't boil the pomegranate juice but gently cook until the sugar has dissolved and the cinnamon and been infused.
- You could also garnish with cinnamon sticks
- You could use ground cinnamon instead of sticks but I would just use about 1 tsp.