This boozy version of the classic thick and velvety french hot chocolate is the perfect way to stay warm and cozy this winter! Chocolat chaud, or french drinking chocolate, is thicker than the American powdered version and is made with chocolate chips, half and half, a little sugar, and a dash of cinnamon!
It's so easy and comes together in about 20 minutes! If you aren't a fan of bourbon, you can easily leave it out or substitute it for another alcohol.
Why this recipe works:
This recipe makes the perfect thick-style french hot chocolate, just like they serve at Cafe Angelina in Paris! The key is to use the best-tasting chocolate you can find and a half and half. The added cream makes the drinking chocolate perfect and velvety!
About this recipe:
- Taste - just like a velvety liquid version of your favorite chocolate!
- Effort - Easy! Everything is made in one pot with just a few ingredients!
- Time - about 10-20 minutes, depending on how fast your chocolate melts!
Bittersweet or Dark Chocolate: this hot chocolate tastes like the drinkable version of whatever chocolate your choose, so pick your favorite!
Half and half: I love the texture that the little bit of cream gives this drink, you can use whole milk, but the cream really does add a lovely depth.
Brown sugar: sugar adds a little needed sweetness to this drink, especially if you are using dark chocolate.
Bourbon: This is optional and if you do choose to use bourbon and the flavor comes through, so using a top-shelf and high-quality bourbon is key to a delicious-tasting drink. You can use any bourbon you like! I used Woodford Reserve for this recipe, but Old Forester 1910, Willett, or Angels Envy would also be good with these flavors.
How to make this recipe:
Start by mixing the half and half and chocolate in a pot on medium heat. Stir continuously until all the chocolate has melted.
Add in the cinnamon, sugar, and salt. Stir to combine.
Add in the bourbon right before serving and stir until it has been fully incorporated.
Pour into mugs and top with marshmallows or whipped cream.
Looking for more winter recipes?! Check these out!
This boozy version of the classic thick and velvety french hot chocolate is the perfect way to stay warm and cozy this winter!
- 3 cups half and half
- 8 oz high-quality dark or bittersweet chocolate chips or finely chopped bars
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- tiny pinch of sea salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 4 ounces bourbon (optional)
- whipped cream or marshmallows for serving
- Start by mixing the half and half and chocolate in a pot on medium heat. Stir continuously until all the chocolate has melted. Try to keep the mixture at a simmer and do not let it boil.
- Add in the cinnamon, sugar, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in the bourbon right before serving and stir until it has been fully incorporated.
- Pour into mugs and top with marshmallows or whipped cream.
If the chocolate has a few lumps that won't melt, you can use a strainer to strain them out.
This is best served right away as it can cool quickly.
Keywords: French hot chocolate