This boozy version of the classic thick and velvety french hot chocolate is the perfect way to stay warm and cozy this winter!
- 3 cups half and half
- 8 oz high-quality dark or bittersweet chocolate chips or finely chopped bars
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- tiny pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 ounces bourbon (optional)
- whipped cream or marshmallows for serving
- Start by mixing the half and half and chocolate in a pot on medium heat. Stir continuously until all the chocolate has melted. Try to keep the mixture at a simmer and do not let it boil.
- Add in the cinnamon, sugar, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in the bourbon right before serving and stir until it has been fully incorporated.
- Pour into mugs and top with marshmallows or whipped cream.
If the chocolate has a few lumps that won't melt, you can use a strainer to strain them out.
This is best served right away as it can cool quickly.
Keywords: French hot chocolate