This blueberry sheet cake is the perfect combination of sweetness and tartness. It combines a fresh blueberry cake with cream cheese icing that's been loaded with blueberry jam and lemon curd.
This cake is really delightful, and I'm especially proud of it because it took me three whole tries to get it right. The end result was a light, fruity, and sophisticated cake with a wonderfully tart blueberry lemon icing.
About the cake:
I love this recipe. It's my core fruity cake recipe that I adapted from an old Martha Stewart recipe from way back in the 2010s. It's definitely evolved over the years, but still one of my favorites. The key with this recipe is to account for how much liquid is in your fruit of choice and how dense you want the cake. Blueberry is a strong flavor when baked, and I wanted a light cake, so 3/4 cup of blueberry puree is the exact amount needed. Too much more, and it will produce a dense cake that won't rise.
How to make the cake:
This is a traditional cake recipe that starts with creaming the butter and sugar. Cream the butter for at least 3 minutes; you want to make sure that lots of air gets into the mixture, which will help produce a light cake. Next, beat in the eggs one at a time. Then add the wet and dry ingredients, alternating between the two. Finally, zest a lemon and fold in the blueberry puree, and then it's ready to be baked!
Cream cheese icing is so easy to make. You just combine all the ingredients with a mixer, taking care that all the powder sugar doesn't go everywhere. I also used store-bought jam and lemon curd, just to keep things nice and easy.
LOOKING FOR MORE SPRINGTIME AND SUMMER BAKES? CHECK OUT THESE:
Thanks so much for making these strawberry and cardamom cupcakes with strawberry basil buttercream! See below for more recipes you might love!Print
For the cake:
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter (one stick)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup pureed blueberries
For the icing:
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar (more for a firmer icing)
- 3 tablespoons blueberry jam
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a 9x12in baking tray with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, salt, and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating completely before adding the next egg.
- Mix milk and vanilla together and while the mixer is on low, add 1/3 of the flour mixture followed by 1/3 of the milk, keep alternating wet and dry ingredients until all are incorporated.
- Add the zest from 1 lemon.
- Pour in the pureed blueberries and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into the baking tray and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes spring back when gently touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
For the icing:
- Beat the softened butter and cream cheese together until its well mixed.
- Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat well between each addition.
- Add in the blueberry jam and lemon curd and mix well.
Keywords: Blueberry Sheet Cake