This banana muffin recipe is super easy, delicious, and pretty healthy! It's also all made in one bowl and is ready in under an hour. I've also made a bourbon and honey compound butter to go with them, which is totally optional but also totally delicious. It's now my go-to spread for bread and toast.
Times are crazy right now, and we all deserve to go easy on ourselves right now. For me, that's making baked goods that are tasty, comforting, come together quickly, and are easy to clean up. Enter these banana muffins. They are half almond flour and half AP flour, so they are on the healthy side of things, and they have all the comforting spices and flavors that I love this time of year i.e. bourbon, cardamom, cinnamon, and honey.
THE BEST BANANA MUFFIN BANANAS:
To achieve really flavorful banana muffins, it ultimately comes down to how ripe your bananas are. You want to use the ripest bananas possible; if you use fresh or even a lightly ripe banana, the flavor won't be there. You are looking for a heavily browned and slightly mushy banana; these have the most flavor and will be the easiest to mash for the recipe.
THE METHOD FOR BANANA MUFFINS:
These muffins are so easy to make and come together in just one bowl. I wanted to make this recipe as easy as possible and wanted it to have minimal cleanup. It doesn't get better than just using one bowl.
Even though it is just one bowl, you do want to do every step in the right order. That means mashing the bananas first. But again, we are going easy on ourselves here, so don't stress about mashing them 100% and getting them perfect. A few chucks can be absolutely delicious. Next, add all the eggs and liquid ingredients. This is where is recipe is super easy; instead of beating the butter and sugar together, I just melted the butter and mixed it right in with the bananas. And lastly, mix in the dry ingredients, and you are all set!
How to make bourbon and honey compound butter:
Compound butter is just butter mixed with other ingredients, and here I mixed a cup of salted Kerry Gold butter, 1 teaspoon of bourbon, and ¼ cup honey in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until it the honey was all mixed in. The result was a sweet, salty, and bourbon-y butter that is absolutely perfect for anything that you can smear butter on.
MORE BOURBON CAKE RECIPES:Print
For the Muffins:
- 2-3 ripe bananas + 2 bananas sliced to put on top of the batter
- 7 tbsp butter - melted
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
For the butter:
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 tsp bourbon
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tray.
- Mash the ripe bananas with a fork in a medium mixing bowl. Leave 2 bananas to the side for the topping.
- Add in the melted butter and mix to combine. Add in the eggs and mix with a fork or a whisk until the eggs are fully incorporated. Continue mixing in the wet ingredients followed by the dry. Stir until all the flour has been incorporated.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin tray. Slice the remaining bananas in ¼ inch pieces and press them in the muffin batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top, is nice and brown and a knife comes out clean.
For the butter:
- Let the butter come to room temp. Then with a mixer, beat the butter, honey, and bourbon together until all the honey has been incorporated into the butter.