This cake is honestly the lightest and most refreshing cake ever born into existence. It’s just plain delightful.
The cake has such a light crumb and has fresh strawberry puree right in the batter. The icing is a swiss
Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Basil Buttercream
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 1 hour
For the cake:
- 3 cups of cake flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces of unsalted butter (two sticks)
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs plus one egg white
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup pureed strawberries
For the buttercream
- 4 egg whites
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ¾ pound unsalted butter (3 sticks) softened and cut into pieces
- 1 cup pureed strawberries
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease 3 9 inch cake pans and prepares ingredients.
- Whisk flours, salt, and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and egg white one at a time beating completely before adding the next egg.
- Mix milk and vanilla together and while the mixer is on low add ⅓ of the flour mixture followed by ⅓ of the milk, keep alternating wet and dry ingredients until all are incorporated.
- Pour in the strawberries and mix to combine.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cake pans and bake for 20-25 minutes.
For the buttercream:
- Put eggs whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Whisk until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove bowl from heat and attach the bowl to a mixer, whisk on medium-high speed for 5 minutes or until very stiff peaks form. Lower speed to medium and start adding butter one piece at a time until are all combined. Add in the chopped basil. Whisk until stiff peaks form again if you lost definition when adding the butter.
- Switch to the paddle attachment and on low speed slowly add a little bit of the strawberries, keep mixing and adding strawberries until all are combined. Whisk on medium speed to firm up the mixture.
Leave a Reply