These orange and cardamom baked donuts with champagne glaze are delicious, fluffy, and have a widely fun champagne kick.
When I set off to make these donuts, I wanted a baked donut that still had the weight of a fried donut. These guys are super fluffy, moist, and flavorful, but the almond flour in them also gives them weight. These also have a healthy amount of sour cream, which gives them an incredible velvety texture. Most baked donuts I've tried have been too light and airy, and I wanted these to be a satisfying donut.
How to make baked donuts from scratch?
These orange and cardamom baked donuts with champagne glaze are super easy to make and are small batch. This recipe makes just six donuts, and they can be ready within 30 minutes! The process is like making a cake, by beating the butter and sugar, adding the egg, and finally adding in the wet and dry ingredients. The only out of the ordinary thing about this recipe is that you do need a donut pan. If you don't have one, you could use a muffin pan and use this recipe to make tea cakes instead.
As I mentioned above, when I sought out to make these baked donuts, I wanted a weightier donut that was also super velvety. I used almond flour because it, in my opinion, produces a weightier cake. It's also courser than all-purpose flour and has a sweeter flavor.
I've also used sour cream as my main wet ingredient because it helps create a velvety texture in baked goods. It also gives the baked goods a very slight tang, which is always fun.
Orange and cardamom are one of my favorite flavor combinations. The earthy and floral cardamom flavor works so perfectly with the orange citrus. When I was trying to decide on a glaze flavor, I immediately thought about how good an orange and cardamom mimosa would be. I then decided that the donuts should be topped with champagne.
Thanks so much for reading about these Orange and Cardamom Baked Donuts with Champagne Glaze! If you make them or have any questions, go ahead and leave your feedback in the comments!
Looking for more donut recipes? Check this one out!
Brown Butter Bourbon DoughnutsPrint
Orange and Cardamom Baked Donuts with Champagne Glaze
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
- Total Time: 24 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 donuts 1x
For the donuts:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sugar
- zest from 1 small orange
- 1 egg
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 table orange juice
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
for the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons champagne
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and lightly oil a donut baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and orange zest together until light and fluffy. Add in the and egg, and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cardamom together and set aside.
- Mix the vanilla, almond extract, and orange juice together.
- Add the sour cream and orange juice mixture to the butter and sugar mixture, followed by the flour mixture, and beat on low until it all comes together.
- Transfer the batter to a piping bag and pipe the batter into the molds until they are all ½ full. Bake for 7-9 minutes until they spring back when touched.
- While the donuts are baking, make the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and champagne together and stir until the mixture is smooth. Once the donuts are baked, swirl each donut in the glaze and set it on a wire rack to set.
Leave a Reply