These cardamom buns with bourbon glaze combine a fluffy brioche dough, a sweet and floral cardamom filling, and a boozy bourbon glaze. These buns are inspired by the traditional Swedish cardamom roll, but they have a fun Kentucky twist (bourbon).
I love Swedish baked goods. How can you not love a culture that has worked hard to master the art of buns? Cinnamon and cardamom buns both originated in Sweden, and both are some of my favorite pastries. But I have to say that cardamom buns are by far my favorite out of the two. There is just something that feels so special about the floral taste of cardamom. Bourbon is a surprising and wonderful pairing with the cardamom; the sweet vanilla notes are a dream with the cardamom's floral notes.
The dough is a brioche dough that needs two rises, 1 hour followed by 30 minutes after the knots are made. It also uses 1 tablespoon of active yeast, which is a little more than one packet. Using all room temperature ingredients (except the milk, which needs to be around 110 degrees) with help the dough come together and rise effectively.
The knots look sophisticated and complicated, but they are really easy to make. Once you have rolled out your dough and have added the filling, fold one side of the dough ⅓ of the way over the dough and then do the same with the other side. Use your rolling pin and flatten out the dough just a little. Then cut the dough into 2cm strips. Wrap each piece around two of your fingers once to create a roll then loop the remaining length around the top, tucking the end underneath.
OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES:
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING ABOUT THIS AWESOME PIE! IF YOU MAKE IT BE SURE TO LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR GIVE THIS RECIPE A RATING! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR EVERYONE’S THOUGHTS!Print
For the dough:
- 1 tbsp yeast
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter
For the filling
- 10 tbsp butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tsp cardamom
- 1 tbsp bourbon
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup bourbon
For the dough:
- Heat the milk in a small pot until slightly warm (about 110 degrees).
- Add the milk and the yeast to a bowl attached to a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. Let the yeast dissolve and activate for about 5 minutes.
- Add the egg and mix until just combined.
- Next mix in the flour, sugar, vanilla, cardamom, and salt. Mix until combined. Finally, mix in the butter about a tablespoon at a time. Continue to knead until the dough is thoroughly mixed.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and let rise until it has doubled in size—about 1 hour.
For the filling:
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter, sugar, cardamom, vanilla, and bourbon until its light and fluffy.
For the assembly:
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle that about ¼ inch thick.
- Spread the filling evenly over the dough.
- Next, fold one of the dough ⅓ of the way over its self and then do the same with the other side so that the filling is totally covered, like folding a piece of paper into thirds. Use your rolling pin and flatten out the dough just a little.
- Cut the dough into 2cm strips. Wrap each piece around two of your fingers once to create a roll then loop the remaining length around the top, tucking the end underneath.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment and place the rolls on top, while leaving space for them to rise. Let them rise again for 30 minutes and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly beat the egg and brush over all the buns right before baking.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
For the glaze:
- Combine the powdered sugar and bourbon in a bowl until there are no lumps left.
Keywords: cardamom rolls, bourbon cardamom rolls