Homemade lemon cupcakes with a lovely herby kick! These cupcakes balance lemon with fresh rosemary and thyme and a tart lemon mascarpone cream cheese frosting.
Southern Italy inspires these cupcakes, and they combine all the wonderful flavors of the Amalfi Coast with a moist and light cupcake
How do these lemon cupcakes taste?
- Southern Italy
- Fresh lemons
- Subtle fresh herbs that are perfectly balanced with lemon
- Tart but light lemon mascarpone frosting
Key ingredients for this recipe:
- All-purpose Flour: This gives the cupcakes their structure, and when combined with a bit of cake flour, it makes a wonderful texture.
- Cake Flour: Cake flour is a super low protein flour mixed with a bit of corn starch. This kind of flour helps to make really soft and tender cakes.
- Sugar: Sugar is what makes these cupcakes so sweet. However, there's not too much; I'm not a fan of overly sweet desserts.
- Unsalted butter: the butter provides flavor and helps the cake to rise when beaten with sugar.
- Salt: Salt is the ultimate flavor enhancer, and fun fact, if you ever want a dessert to be sweeter, a lot of times, it means you need to up the salt and not the sugar.
- Baking powder: baking powder is the leavener in this recipe, and along with the eggs, helps the cookies to rise.
- Eggs: The eggs in this recipe act as a binding agent for all the ingredients.
- Milk: The milk adds both moisture and flavor to this recipe.
- Vanilla extract: In addition to the sugar, the vanilla provides sweetness and flavor.
- Fresh lemons: fresh lemon juice and zest are what give this recipe its lemon flavor.
- Fresh rosemary and thyme: this recipe has just the right amount of herbs to give a light but delightful rosemary and thyme flavor.
- Bourbon: this ingredient is optional, but it does add a nice kick of flavor to the cupcakes.
- Mascarpone: mascarpone is an Italian sweet cream cheese that's a sweet and less tart alternative to cream cheese.
- Lemon curd: homemade or store-bought lemon curd gives the frosting its sweet lemon flavor.
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to make this recipe:
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and by lining a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Next, whisk the flours, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl and then cream the butter and sugar together with a mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Combine the milk, vanilla, rosemary, thyme, and lemon zest together in a small bowl.
- Add the flour and milk mixtures to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Mix in the lemon juice and bourbon
- Then divide the batter between prepared cupcake tins, filling 3/4 of the way
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean
These cupcakes will keep in an airtight container for up to three days in a refrigerator.
Cupcakes are super simple to make! The key to good cupcakes is to whip the butter and sugar thoroughly. This helps air to get whipped into the batter.
Thoroughly mince the herbs so that they blend nicely into the cupcakes and frosting.
Test the cupcakes after 20 minutes; if the cake springs back when touched, and if a knife or toothpick comes out clean, they are ready!