Homemade lemon cupcakes with a lovely herby kick! These cupcakes balance lemon with fresh rosemary and thyme and a tart lemon mascarpone cream cheese frosting.
For the cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 sticks of butter (softened, or zapped in the microwave for 10 seconds)
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh thyme
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Juice from 2 lemons
For the icing:
- 2 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 1 cup lemon curd
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 4 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl
- In a stand mixer cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition
- Mix the milk, vanilla, rosemary, thyme, and lemon zest together in a small bowl
- Add flour mixture and milk mixture to the butter and sugar, starting with just 1/3 of each and alternating wet and dry ingredients.
- Mix in the lemon juice.
- Divide batter between prepared cupcake tins, filling 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
For the icing
- Mix all the ingredients with a mixer and you're done!
- Cupcakes are super simple to make! The key to good cupcakes is to whip the butter and sugar thoroughly. This helps air to get whipped into the batter.
- Thoroughly mince the herbs so that they blend nicely into the cupcakes and frosting.
- Test the cupcakes after 20 minutes; if the cake springs back when touched, and if a knife or toothpick comes out clean, they are ready!
Keywords: Lemon cupcakes