Who doesn't anything buffalo chicken?! The spicy orange hot sauce is my kryptonite, and this version of mini buffalo chicken stuffed peppers is a healthier, low-carb, and gluten-free way to enjoy buffalo chicken! This recipe also uses no cream cheese, which I think overpowers most buffalo appetizers.
These mini sweet peppers stuffed with spicy, savory, and cheesy buffalo chicken are the perfect appetizer for game day or family gatherings!
Why you will love this recipe:
I love anything buffalo chicken, but I also love to keep things on the healthier side whenever possible. This version with mini sweet peppers adds some wonderful nutrients, and the sweet peppers taste so wonderful with the spicy chicken. I also love an appetizer that serves a group! Serve these along with Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread!
Shredded chicken: I prefer to use a rotisserie chicken or to boil chicken breasts in water with salt and pepper and shred it by hand, but do whatever method is easiest for you.
Hot Sauce: Frank's RedHot Sauce is ideal for making buffalo sauce! Combine it with a little white vinegar, butter, and garlic powder, and you have an amazing buffalo sauce!
Mini Sweet Peppers: purchase mini peppers on the larger end to ensure that there is enough room for stuffing.
Shredded Cheeses: cheddar and mozzarella cheese add flavor and creaminess to the chicken so that you don't have to add any overpowering cream cheese.
Green Chilies: a can of green hatch chilies adds a little smokiness and depth to balance out the hot sauce.
How to make this recipe:
Start by shredding and roughly chopping the chicken.
Then make the buffalo sauce by cooking the hot sauce with a stick of butter, vinegar, and garlic powder until melted and fully combined.
Add the sauce to the chicken and add the shredded cheese and green chilies.
Slice the mini peppers in half and brush with olive oil. Line the peppers on a rimmed baking sheet and fill with about 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture.
Roughly chop the shredded chicken to easily stuff the peppers and it makes the peppers easier to bite into. Long strands of of chicken are too bulky for these little peppers.
Use your fingers to push the chicken into the peppers to make sure it fills every crevasse.
Yes, just prepare peppers and then cover in plastic wrap or seal them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days and bake when ready to serve!
Absolutely! For best results heat in the oven at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
The spicy orange hot sauce is my kryptonite, and this version of mini buffalo chicken stuffed peppers is a healthier, low-carb, and gluten-free way to enjoy buffalo chicken!
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup hot sauce such as Franks
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese + plus more for sprinkling
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese + plus more for sprikling
- 1 4 oz can of green chilies
- About 12 mini sweet peppers
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Shred and roughly chop the chicken. I prefer to use a rotisserie chicken but use any chicken cooking method you prefer. Chop the chicken so that the shredded sections do not exceed ½ inch.
- Make the buffalo sauce by adding the hot sauce, stick of butter, vinegar, and garlic powder to a small-medium pot and cook on medium-low until the butter has melted.
- Add the sauce, ½ cup cheddar cheese, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, and green chilies to the shredded chicken and set aside.
- Slice the mini peppers in half and brush with olive oil. Line the peppers up on a rimmed baking sheet and fill with about 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle with more cheese, bake for 12-14 minutes, and serve with blue cheese or ranch dip.