When it comes to homemade treats, nothing beats these pecan banana cookies! Pecans and bananas are a match made in heaven, and these cookies taste just like your favorite banana bread but in cookie form!
- 1 overripe banana, mashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup pecan pieces (or chopped pecans) plus more for topping
- Whole pecans for topping
- heat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg.
- In a separate bowl, mash the banana with the vanilla extract. Add it to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, mixing until just combined. Avoid overmixing, as it can lead to tough cookies.
- Gently fold in the chopped pecans, ensuring they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Drop 1 tablespoon of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Top with whole pecans and additional pecan pieces.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown around the edges.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, store the Pecan Banana Cookies in an airtight container to maintain their freshness.
- Store baked cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days. You can refrigerate or freeze the cookie dough balls, just bring them to room temperature before baking. This can take about 1 hour for refrigerated dough and 2 hours for frozen dough.
- *Measure your flour properly. This is my #1 baking tip! Use the spoon-level method. This means fluffing the flour first, then spooning it into your measuring cup/spoon.
- For extra flavor, toast the pecans before chopping them. Simply spread the pecans on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 5 minutes until fragrant. Allow them to cool before using in the recipe.