The Mint Julep is a fresh and minty bourbon cocktail, perfect for celebrating the Kentucky Derby!
For the mint simple syrup:
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves - 1 bunch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
For the cocktail
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1.5 ounces mint simple syrup
- Mint sprig
- crushed ice
For the mint simple syrup
- Mix the 1 cup water with the 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh mint into a small pot. Simmer until sugar has dissolved and mint has been cooked. Let the mixture cool.
For the julep:
- Mix 2 ounces of bourbon and 1 ounce of the mint simple syrup into a glass. Stir, add a mint sprig and fill with crushed ice.
- Try and make your simple syrup ahead of time, so it has time to thoroughly cool. You can make it a week ahead of time and store it in the fridge.
- Mix your drink first and add the ice last. This drink is traditionally made by mixing everything together in a glass, adding the mint springs, and then topping it all off with ice.
Keywords: Mint Julep