These apple butter muffins are swirled with a cinnamon cream cheese topping and are filled with spiced apple butter!
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup apple butter
Cream cheese topping:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Then mix in the vanilla.
- Next, mix in the apple butter.
- Followed by the flour, salt, and baking powder. Sit the bowl aside.
- Add the batter to a prepared lined muffin tin, filling 3/4 of the way up.
- Make the cream cheese mixture by beating the cream cheese, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, and egg yoke together until smooth.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of cream cheese to the tops of the muffins and use a toothpick to swirl the mixture into the muffin batter.
- Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then lower to 375 and bake for 15 -20 minutes more.
- Don't over-mix the batter; the key to the perfect muffin texture is just mixed batter.
- A toothpick is the best method to swirl the cream cheese; a knife works, but it's harder to swirl in a muffin tin.