This bourbon peach upside down cake is the perfect combination of bourbon caramel, sweet peaches, and moist cake! The
- 4-5 peaches cored and cut into wedges. Leave the skin on.
- 1 stick butter (8 tablespoons)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp bourbon
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Line a 9-inch cake pan (do not use a springform) with parchment paper and butter the paper.
- Arrange the peaches over the parchment, starting at the center and working your way out. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp cinnamon over the peaches.
- Make the caramel by combining 1/4 cup water with 1/2 cup sugar. Stir to combine and then heat over medium-high heat until it turns light brown. Do not stir the mixture while it is heating (about 10-15 minutes). Remove from heat and quickly add 1 tablespoon bourbon and pour evenly over the peaches.
- Make the cake batter by beating the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Beat in the eggs 1 at a time, then beat in the vanilla and 2 tablespoons bourbon.
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder, and remaining 1/4 tsp cinnamon and then slowly beat it into the batter.
- Pour the batter over the peaches and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 15-30 minutes before turning it out.
- Use a cake pan, not a springform pan. If you use a springform pan, the wonderful caramel will leak out all over your oven.
- Line your pan with parchment paper and then butter or oil the parchment. Caramel is very sticky, so to ensure that your beautiful fruit topping stays intact, line the pan with parchment so it can be easily removed.
- Watch the caramel. Caramel is very particular, once it's on the heat, it cant be stirred, and it goes from underdone, to ready, to burnt very fast. So watch it very closely.
- Test it with a toothpick or knife before taking it out of the oven. Since you are baking cake batter on top of a liquidy mixture, it can need some extra baking time.