This southern biscuit-style cobbler with fresh strawberries is the perfect summertime dessert! The strawberries are baked with bourbon to deepen their flavor and bring out a whole new level of sweet strawberry flavor.
For the strawberry filling:
- 5 cups halved strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
For the biscuit topping:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cubbed and chilled butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg for egg wash.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Halve 5 cups of strawberries and place them in a 9-inch baking dish. Add the sugar, bourbon, lemon juice, and corn starch and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Next, make the biscuits. Whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together.
- Press your cold cubed butter into the flour until it is pea and lima bean-sized.
- Add in the honey and milk and stir until just combined.
- Pour our onto a floured surface press into a 1-inch rectangle.
- Fold the dough on top of itself, in thirds like you would a letter, and then flatten into a rectangle again.
- Cut into 2-inch squares and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Take the baking strawberries out of the oven and top with the frozen biscuits. Brush with an egg wash and then bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cut your butter into 1-inch pieces and then chill so that they are cold when you make your biscuits. This will help make them really fluffy.
- Do not overmix your biscuit dough; over mixing is the biggest cause of gummy and dense biscuits.
- Place your baking dish on a lined baking tray. There will most likely be a little overflow of jammy strawberries, and this will ensure an easy clean-up!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: Strawberry Cobbler