For the loaf
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 3 packets of active dry yeast (2 tbsp)
- 300 grams bread flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 100 grams all-purpose flour (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tsp sugar (55 grams)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 eggs beaten
- 1 cup room temp butter (220 grams)
- 2 eggs for the egg wash
For the chocolate filling
- 1 cup room temp butter
- 12 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
The night before:
- Warm the milk to a lukewarm temperature
- Pour the milk into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment. Add in the yeast and let it dissolve for a few minutes.
- Add in both flours, the sugar, salt, and beaten eggs and mix on low speed until combined.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and beat the dough for about 6 minutes, or enough time for the gluten to fully develop.
- Reduce the speed to low and add in the butter a little bit at a time. The mixture will be really wet but keep mixing until it takes on a dough form again. Turn the mixer back up to medium-high and beat again for 6 minutes.
- Pour the dough out on to a sheet pan covered with parchment. Spread the dough across pan until so that becomes a good-sized rectangle.
- In a separate bowl combine the butter, the cocoa powder, and sugar until smooth
- Spread the mixture evenly over the flattened dough. Then roll the dough into a log by starting with the far side and using the parchment paper to lift it. Once rolled cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise overnight in the fridge.
- Take the dough out of the fridge cut in half and place into 2 8inch loaf pans and let rise a room temp for 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and brush the dough with an egg wash. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.