This fresh blueberry sheet cake is the perfect combination of sweetness and tartness. It combines a fresh blueberry cake with cream cheese icing that's been loaded with blueberry jam and lemon curd.
Why you will love this recipe:
The best part of the is cake is how much fresh fruit flavor is packed in its light and fluffy texture. I have never been a fan of artificial flavors, especially in fruit-flavored desserts, and this sheet cake tastes 100% of fresh blueberry.
Blueberry is one of my favorite fruits to bake with, but I love fruity bakes in general. These Strawberry Cupcakes, Mini Blackberry Cheesecakes, and Strawberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake are also amazing!
About this recipe:
- Taste - The combination of pureed blueberry, sugar, and lemon is fresh and fruity.
- Texture - This is a light and fluffy cake.
- Effort - This is a medium/easy recipe. All the steps are easy, but there are multiple steps.
- Time - It takes about 20 minutes to make the cake batter, 30 minutes to cook, 30 minutes to cool, and 10 minutes to make the cream cheese frosting.
Fresh blueberries: the cake is flavored with fresh blueberries that are pureed and blended. I would not recommend using frozen berries and have not tested the recipe with them.
All-purpose flour: the flour provides the structure to the cake, and this cake uses a precise amount that the cake needs to soak up the blueberries and still have a light crumb.
Milk and vanilla extract: These wet ingredients add moisture and flavor to the cake.
Cream Cheese: this is the base for the frosting, and it provides a wonderful tang and a little structure to the icing.
Blueberry Jam and Lemon Curd: These are the flavors for the frosting. Fresh blueberry wouldn't hold up, so a high-quality jam is best. My favorite is Bonne Maman.
How to make the cake:
The recipe is very easy to make; there are just multiple steps to complete it.
- Start by creaming the butter and sugar. Cream the butter for at least 3 minutes; you want to ensure that lots of air gets into the mixture, which will help produce a light cake.
- Next, beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Then add the wet and dry ingredients, alternating between the two.
- Finally, zest a lemon and fold in the blueberry puree, and then it's ready to be baked!
- While the cake is cooling, make the frosting by whipping the cream cheese and butter together.
- Then slowly add in the powdered sugar.
- Followed by the blueberry jam and lemon curd.
Tips for success:
This recipe is so easy that it's really hard to mess it up, but a few things will make it absolutely perfect.
- Make the blueberry puree by blended the blueberries in a blender or food processor. About 1 cup of blueberries will make ¾ cup puree, depending on how ripe they are.
- Let your cake cool completely before frosting it so that the frosting won't melt.
- Let your cream cheese and butter come to room temperature before mixing. You can also pop them into the microwave for 15 seconds to get them to room temp.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, if you add to much at once all the dust will go everywhere.
LOOKING FOR MORE SPRINGTIME AND SUMMER BAKES? CHECK OUT THESE:
This blueberry sheet cake is the perfect combination of sweetness and tartness. It combines a fresh blueberry cake with cream cheese icing that's been loaded with blueberry jam and lemon curd.
For the cake:
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter (one stick)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest from 1 lemon
- ¾ cup pureed blueberries
For the icing:
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar (more for a firmer icing)
- 3 tablespoons blueberry jam
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a 9x12in baking tray with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, salt, and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating completely before adding the next egg.
- Mix milk and vanilla together and while the mixer is on low, add ⅓ of the flour mixture followed by ⅓ of the milk, keep alternating wet and dry ingredients until all are incorporated.
- Add the zest from 1 lemon.
- Pour in the pureed blueberries and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into the baking tray and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes spring back when gently touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
For the icing:
- Beat the softened butter and cream cheese together until its well mixed.
- Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat well between each addition.
- Add in the blueberry jam and lemon curd and mix well.
Keywords: Blueberry Sheet Cake